Episode 111: From baker to nurse: the courage to change career with Zoe Berkeley
So many of us spend years as an employee, hankering to turn our passions into a business. But what happens when your longings are to give up the self-employed life and join an organisation? In this week’s episode, I have the pleasure of talking to Zoe Berkeley: baker turned palliative care nurse. I met Zoe ages ago in her bakery in North London and over the last 10 years, I have watched Zoe make significant changes to her career. It’s been a total joy to watch from the sidelines!
So what’s this episode really about?
- We talk about the highs and lows that came with being a 24-year-old business owner.
- How Zoe came to realise that she was ready for a new career after 10 successful years in business.
- How others were very surprised and not necessarily supportive of her decision to switch to nursing after having such a successful business.
- Zoe shares the story of her nursing training and how much maths was involved, tricky when you are not a ‘maths’ person!
- What it was like to go back to studying as a mature student at 34.
- Zoe’s life on the inside of the NHS during the pandemic.
Why you should listen
For many of us during the last few years, our relationship with work has been interrupted and the ways we work irrevocably changed. You might be rethinking and reimagining what it is you want to be doing.
Zoe’s story is such a relatable one and she tells it with her enormous heart and practical can-do approach. From baker to nurse can sound like a leap, but as Zoe shares, she had surprisingly transferable skills.
You are not too old and it’s never too late to have the courage to change careers!
You can quote me on that…
“Timing is everything and you’ve just got to trust the process.” – Zoe Berkeley
“If you want to make something work, you can find a way with your own dedication and passion.” – Zoe Berkeley
“You need self-belief but you also need a plan.” – Sas Petherick
Like what you hear?
Why not help me reach more ears (and give my self-belief a boost) with a 5-star rating?